Monday, July 24, 2006

Whom Am I serving?

Dear Heavenly Father! I am always saying how much I want to serve You, how much I want to follow You, and how much I want to do Your will AND I do! But I have come across a verse today that is a good "test" of what is really inside and what is the truth. So many times I pray my words in my prayers will connect and meet my heart. It is easy to say words in prayers that may not even meet up with your heart yet. What I mean is....... I pray that I desire nothing but the Lord and His will and to be satisfied by that. But I see how I use many other things to satisfy my desires and wants and dreams other than the Lord. So my heart has not met up with my mouth just yet. I believe that is much of what a prayer is. Saying things in faith that your heart and actions will truly meet up with your requests, desires, etc. in the near future.

But this is the verse the Lord reminded me of today. Galatians 1:10
10 Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.

I was reading a devotion about playing church and wearing a spiritual mask. The fact that there actually is nothing at all behind the mask deep in the heart - empty attempts. It was all done to seek the approval of man and not of God.

This is where I think my prayers have not met up with my actions and heart some of the time. I don't feel like I wear a spiritual mask or anything such as that, but I do feel like I am seeking the approval of man more often than the approval of my God. I daily do the things that are expected of those that are following Him, but when it comes down to decisions, at times I look at whose feelings it might hurt or who might be impressed - that is ugly - or who might be most helped or benefited rather than seeking the Lord in what HE wants. I do not like that aspect about myself. I have to fight that daily because I am such a people pleaser. I find myself wanting to please others than what my first reaction should be - wanting to please my Lord!

I do want to be Your servant, but whom am I trying to please? That will tell of whom I am really serving - man or God... Today, let it be God!

No comments: