Friday, August 06, 2010

881 - THe Rich Always Have Nice THings -hmm

Lord, as I was driving to church last night I was listening to a program from Crown Ministries. A lady had called in and was wondering why it seems that the rich keep getting richer and they keep what looks like the favor of God - kind of question. I have to say I have wondered that myself many time before as well. Why does it seem that those that have connections get all the breaks and those that have to work hard just have to work harder? Why does it seem that those that are well off get more nods at church than those that have no more to give than just their regular tithe and commitment to the church? Why does it seem that if your name is a particular one you get special treatment and privileges? I have heard all these questions out of my own mouth, from the girls I have disciplined, from many women I have spoken to, and friends just in conversations. I think there is not one that has asked this before.

I don't think it can go without being said that you can always find one that is better off than you and one that is much worse off than you! So with that being said, let's try not to pass any judgment on the one that might be dealing with this kind of issue. It plagues us all at one time or another. And if it hasn't it probably will just by reading this. Ha!

So on the radio show the man said that in Jer. 12:1-2 this very thing was being asked.
1 You are always righteous, O LORD, when I bring a case before you. Yet I would speak with you about your justice: Why does the way of the wicked prosper? Why do all the faithless live at ease?
2 You have planted them, and they have taken root; they grow and bear fruit. You are always on their lips but far from their hearts.


I think it is interesting Jeremiah just might be talking about the ones that claim to be believers. He says in the last verse, "You are always on their lips, but far from their hearts." We have people here that look like they are playing church and doing well at it in everyone's eyes. Look like they are "living in the favor" judging only through material means, but in actuality the Word says their hearts are far from Him. How is easy is it to do that, play church, pretend all is fine, and then be hurting and wandering farther and farther away from Him day by day.

Well, the Lord answers this very situation in Ps. 73. Asaph was dealing with why the wicked seem to live carelessly and still increase in wealth.
4 They have no struggles; their bodies are healthy and strong. [a]
5 They are free from the burdens common to man; they are not plagued by human ills.
6 Therefore pride is their necklace; they clothe themselves with violence.
7 From their callous hearts comes iniquity [
b] ; the evil conceits of their minds know no limits.
8 They scoff, and speak with malice; in their arrogance they threaten oppression.
9 Their mouths lay claim to heaven, and their tongues take possession of the earth.
10 Therefore their people turn to them and drink up waters in abundance. [
c]
11 They say, "How can God know? Does the Most High have knowledge?"
12 This is what the wicked are likeƂ— always carefree, they increase in wealth.


I think this whole "problem" can be looked at a few different ways.

1) When we are looking at one that seems to be getting all the breaks we have to realize that we don't know the whole story. It may seem in our eyes that they are not living right, but we are not to judge. They may be doing just as He asks.

2) We have to realize that God will use anyone He wants to get His plan accomplished and that may be in allowing the wicked to prosper for some time!

3) A personal thing with me, is I must learn to be content in where He has me and with what He wants to do with me today and for forever. His plan for me is very specific and will not and should not look like any others.

4) There may be a jealousy issue in our lives. Been there, done that, it's ugly!

Bottom line for me: When I get all caught up in this and find myself fixated on a certain person or group of people getting all the breaks it does me no good. I am suppose to "set my eyes on things above" and this perspective is not heavenly. It is actually very selfishly focused because I am dwelling on the fact that I feel left out. Not good, not righteous, not holy, and not pretty! Down right oppressive like in verse 16. God will be the one to wake the dreamers living on their riches and living in the confidence of their riches. God will be the one to placejudgmentt and deal with those masked or ungodly lives - depending whether they know You or not! He will have the final say.

Lord, I have to say this has been a convicting morning for me. I find myself in this realm of thinking too often. Help me to grow more content in my situation and in YOU!!!! Like verse 25, I want to desire nothing on this earth, but You! May my spoken prayers actually come to fruition in my heart! I love you!


No comments: