Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Reality Check - How am I doing?

Psalm 14:2-3 (New International Version)

2 The LORD looks down from heaven on the sons of men to see if there are any who understand, any who seek God.
3 All have turned aside, they have together become corrupt; there is no one who does good, not even one.

Dear Lord - we have a reality check this morning. I want to ask myself and whomever else might read this - how do we think we are doing? I guess I could look at my life on the surface and say everything looks pretty good. I go to church regularly, I have my quiet time often, I give, I lead Bible studies, I have many great friends, I love my husband, and am good to my kids!

I think in life, especially the Christian life, we try to measure up to the other Christians. We look at the world and know that we are doing things better than they, but then look to our fellow sisters in Christ and look for the plumbline. But to whom shall we really be seeking to measure up to? Jesus! Ashamed to say because i kow better - How many times do I look at Him and then feel a bit overwhelmed. I can never be like that. I can never have the mind of Christ. I can never have a heart that is one with completely true motives and pure intentions. I can never be like Him! Those are all lies in a way that I am listening from the "defeated one" and allowing me to feel defeated. But then You swoop me up and say, "Yes child, you can never be like me and never have a completely pure heart and never truly have the mind of Christ .............. on your own. On your own, no never - you can't be anything like Me! But with My might, power, and strength - WE can!! That is what my blood was for!" Oh praise you my Lord! Thank you!

But I do see the verse above and it says that no one does any good - my paraphrase. That is exactly right. When I put myself up against what God might really want out of me and what He really sees as my full potential, I have done and can do no good - no not one thing! I am not saying to give up - that is what the cross was all about. He died and was raised to be our righteousness, to be our good, to be our Savior, to be our Lord, to be our justification, etc... The list can go on and on!

Oh Lord, I praise You! All I know is that You died for us all and have a plan for my life and that I want to follow you with all my heart and might! I know that I can not do it alone and that I need Your grace and mercy. Guide me Lord, direct me, and keep me from the comparing game. I know You are my only true measure! I love you!

No comments: