Tuesday, September 02, 2008

631 - Resolution

Lord, I really like the sound of that word. Resolution. Being resolute. Resolve. I remember hearing that word so often after 9/11.

This morning in Luke 9:51-55 verse 51 just shouted out to me. "As the time approached for Him to be taken up to heaven, Jesus resolutely set out for Jerusalem."

Jesus did not just do a few things and then decide or even ponder the decision to go to Jerusalem - no, He just about did an about-face and made a bee line there - almost. In fact the actual word means "to strengthen, establish, to stand firm, to be resolute". He was going and He knew he had to - no options and no backing out.

But what was the big deal? He had gone to Jerusalem before... But this was the end. This would be the last trip. This is why there needed to be strength, He was going to establish The Kingdom, standing firm in His purpose, and resolute in his actions. This was the final straw. This was the final action and the one that He was born to do! There was no turning back. And the whole time, even before the beginning of time, He knew well the pain and humiliation He was about to endure. He was Resolute!

Oh Lord Jesus - if i could have the same focus. Lord, If i could go about my day not thinking of myself, but the purpose that you have for me - NOW. Not in 5 years or even 5 days, but the NOW. Lord, forgive me for not pursuing Your purposes near enough. I get too sidetracked. Lord, I love your focus.

Your grace amazes me. You are kind enough to not let me know what I am headed for...always. There are many things I would probably not be resolute in if I knew what I was to endure both good and bad. Lord, thank you!! That is a display of your grace and mercy and I thank you!

I just peeked down further in the scripture. The next few verses about men that Jesus met on His way to the Cross. Those that wanted to follow, but had one thing they had left to do. Honorable things, but still one thing holding them up. Bury the dead, saying good-bye, etc. But nope, You are asking us to be resolute - set out to do the purpose and have purpose! Dieing was your end and the beginning of all Victory for us!! Oh Lord thank you for not losing your focus, for being resolute, and for following through to the end for our beginning!!! Praise you Lord!! Thank you!!

What a beautifully awesome weekend. Friday night was home with the kids - they still like us. Saturday Tucker went to a fair with some friends. Clay and I took the kids to the movies - oops, I read the Internet wrong and the movie was not there. So after church we tried it again... Longshot - awesome movie. There was some language that I was unaware of, but the message and family meaning was awesome! The big girls had friends spend the night and Tucker got in another trip to Holiday World. Man, great times!! Thank you Jesus!!

3 comments:

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

What a good word my friend. There are so many things in my life that I need to be this way about. (ddeeeeepppppp sighs) =) Love ya!

Joyful said...

Leigh this made me think of others in the Bible who "resolutely" responded and followed Jesus. Fishermen who surrendered their nets. Daniel who 'resolutely' bowed on his knees before an open window unafraid. Three who entered a fiery furnace without turning back. The names recorded in the "Hall of Faith" in Hebrews who didn't waver but stood firm in their following.

Too often I can 'resolutely set out' in the right direction, but fear distracts me. Praying I will reach my "Jerusalem".

Blessings,
Joy

Joyful said...
This comment has been removed by the author.